Thursday, July 8, 2010

Women's bike safety class - July 14 & 17

As someone who has been a bicycle advocate and educator for over ten years now, and as a year-round bike commuter, I often talk to people that say some variation on, "I'd ride to work/shopping/downtown, but I don't feel comfortable on the routes I'd have to take." They wish there was a path the whole way, or there is a particular street or intersection that keeps them from feeling safe.


Photo courtesy of the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center

I know that I can teach these people to ride in almost any traffic condition or to any destination, because I've been teaching people to do it for years. But I can't get those people into the classes I teach. Or they don't find out about the classes. Or they can't make the dates I've set up.

So they don't bike. Or they only bike on paths or quiet streets, and miss the joy and freedom of feeling confident going anywhere by bike that people driving cars can and do go. 

So here is my plea, in my blog, which I'm going to spread far and wide. If you already feel great biking all over town, please pass this on to a friend, neighbor, family member, or someone you work with. Or maybe you are one of those people yourself. You wish you felt OK about biking to work, or you want to bike to events, but the traffic scares you. Or the cars feel like they are passing so close, it just makes the whole idea less than fun. 

We can fix that! Below is information from an email I sent out a couple weeks ago. This time the class is a women-only class, but if you want to be informed of future classes, let me know. Or if you want me to each a class for your group, neighbors, or work site, we can talk about that too. 

Have you ever wanted to ride you bike somewhere, but didn't feel comfortable on the streets? Want to feel more confident riding to any destination? Want to know the real info on what's both safe and legal? Know someone else who has said, "I would bike to _____, but....?"

Have we got a class for you! And this time, it's women only.

This is a 9-hour class, and will be held Wednesdays, July 14, 6:30-9:30 PM and Saturday, July 17 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM at the Trek Store West, 8108 Mineral Point Rd (next to Target, off junction Rd.)*

Cost is $50/person for the 9-hour class.

Take this nationally-recognized class, and learn to ride anywhere, even if there's no bike lane, path, or quiet street. Feel more comfortable on your bike by making sure that it fits, works correctly, and you know how t ride it efficiently.

From the League of American Bicyclists web site:
"Gives cyclists the confidence they need to ride safely and legally in traffic or on the trail. The course covers bicycle safety checks, fixing a flat, on-bike skills and crash avoidance techniques and includes a student manual. Recommended for adults and children above age fourteen, this fast-paced, nine-hour course prepares cyclists for a full understanding of vehicular cycling.
Please let me know directly if you would like to register, and I will send you the materials.

If you have any questions, or would like more information, feel free to email or call me.

(This class is for adults, but students under 14-15 may take it if taking the class with a parent. Students 16-17 must have parental permission.)

Robbie Webber, League Cycling Instructor # 701
Over 10 years experience as a nationally certified bicycle safety instructor.
608-233-1390
robbie@robbiewebber.org